Now that President Trump has effectively been exonerated by Special Counsel Robert Mueller of the charge that he and/or his campaign “colluded” with Russia, our national attention must turn to another, far more dangerous and increasingly aggressive enemy: Communist China.
To encourage and inform the needed, focused effort to understand – and counter – the myriad threats posed by the Chinese Communist Party and the country it misrules, several dozen national security practitioners, China experts, business leaders and human rights and religious freedom activists have come together to form the Committee on the Present Danger: China.
Four decades ago, another such committee helped Ronald Reagan defeat the previous totalitarian Communist government that sought our destruction: the Soviet Union. Ours launches today determined to help President Trump do the same with respect to the present, Chinese danger of our time.
“The Committee on the Present Danger: China” is a wholly-independent and non-partisan effort to educate and inform American citizens and policymakers about the existential threats presented from the Peoples Republic of China under the misrule of the Chinese Communist Party. Its purpose is to explain these threats that range from: the PRC’s accelerating military buildup; its active information and political warfare that targets the American people and our business, political and media elites; cyber warfare; and, economic warfare.
The Committee takes no ideological point of view, rather it relies on the facts as reasonable people can understand them. Armed with these facts, the Committee believes Americans’ abundant common sense will prompt them to demand of their elected officials that all reasonable measures be taken to defend the United States, its vital economic interests, and the security of its citizens.
Guiding Principles of the Committee
- Global hegemony has been the longstanding goal of the Chinese Communist Party the pursuit of which has become, under the leadership of Xi Jinping, increasingly brazen, blatant, and aggressive.
- The Chinese Communist Party (CCP), especially the party-controlled Chinese military, regards the United States as the only real impediment to its aspirations.
- For decades, the PRC has used an array of asymmetric financial, economic, cyber, information, influence, espionage, political warfare and other techniques (including unconventional ones) to weaken and ultimately defeat America.
- Increasingly, China can also project power globally and decisively using a combination of: stolen, purchased and indigenously developed hardware; a growing collection of strategically located overseas ports, airfields and bases; denial of access to strategic minerals and other resources; space and space-related capabilities; predatory investment and finance for global strategic gain; modernized and probably clandestine nuclear forces; state and non-state proxies; and a new way of warfare based on cyber operations and electromagnetic pulse (EMP) to neutralize others’ defense capabilities.
- The United States is likely to face in the foreseeable future a determined and aggressive superpower adversary, prepared and willing to use force, as well as non-military forms of warfare, to defeat this country decisively. The PRC’s aggressive actions are increasingly putting at risk its own people and environment and that of the rest of the world.
- Particularly ominous has been the CCP’s success of late in undermining and subverting Western democracies from within through its: control, domination and exploitation of Chinese diaspora communities, including overseas students, professors and researchers; influence operations in the Western media and in academia; and the use of American and other corporations and even individuals invested in or doing business with China as advocates for accommodating Beijing.
- To steal the personal information of ordinary American citizens and to subvert their perceptions, opinions, and behavior.
- In the face of such threats, America must mobilize all instruments of national power to protect its people, territory, human freedom, vital interests and allies from the Chinese Communist Party.
- Prevailing against this dangerous adversary will require an understanding of the threat posed by its totalitarian system; a determination to reverse decades of American miscalculation, inaction and appeasement; and concerted, sustained effort on the part of the U.S. government, civil society, private sector business entities and the public at large to implement needed corrective actions.
- There is no hope of coexistence with China as long as the Communist Party governs the country. We seek China’s peaceful evolution into a nation that respects the rule of law and individual human rights, instead of threatening its own people, as well as others.
- The Committee on the Present Danger: China is committed to educating policymakers and the American people about the mortal threat posed by the Communist Chinese Party and recommending and advocating for essential policy course-corrections aimed at defeating PRC aggression and keeping the United States and Free World strong and safe.
Source: presentdangerchina.org; centerforsecuritypolicy.org