China says death toll hits 304 as of Feb.1, confirmed cases cross 14,000.
There had been a further 1,921 cases detected in Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak, taking the total in the province to 9,074.
The State Department on Thursday authorized a departure of all non-emergency government employees from the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, along with their family members, as the deadly coronavirus continues to spread.
The authorization also extends to U.S. consulates general stationed in the Chinese cities of Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Shenyang, according to a State Department official.
“The Department of State made the decision to put the U.S. Embassy and Consulates General on authorized departure status out of an abundance of caution related to logistical disruptions stemming from restricted transportation and availability of appropriate health care related to the novel coronavirus,” the State Department said in a statement.
Both the U.S. Embassy and Consulates General will continue to provide consular services across China, as resources allow, the State Department said.
All people entering Shanghai will now have to register via mobile phone, the city’s transportation commission said on Saturday.
This measure covers all who enter Shanghai via road, rail or air, including residents returning from out of town, to curb the spread of coronavirus.
People should scan a QR code, fill in their name, ID card or passport number, mobile phone number, home address, and state whether they were traveling from Hubei Province or its capital Wuhan, when they left, how they traveled, and whether they stopped anywhere on the way to Shanghai.
Outside the central province of Hubei, Chongqing is the worst affected city in the ongoing outbreak of a novel coronavirus first identified in Hubei’s capital Wuhan, according to official data.
A sprawling megalopolis of over 30 million people along the Yangtze River in southwestern China, Chongqing is the largest Chinese city by area and has numerous direct links to the epicenter of the outbreak.
As of Thursday, Chongqing had 206 confirmed infections (link in Chinese) by the virus. Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen reported 132, 128, 106 and 110 cases respectively.
About 210,000 people traveled to Chongqing from Wuhan for the Lunar New Year holiday before Wuhan was locked down on Jan. 23, accounting for 4.2% of an exodus of 5 million, Tang Wenge, a deputy director of the Chongqing Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told local media. Some were already symptomatic upon arrival, Tang added.
China’s eastern Zhejiang province said on Monday companies in the province were not allowed to resume operations before Feb. 9, to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The coastal city of Wenzhou in Zhejiang reported 14 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus as of midnight of Jan 31, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the city to 241, according to the official website of the Health Commission of Zhejiang Province.
The increasing number of confirmed cases is related to the number of people who returned to Wenzhou from Wuhan, Tang Xiaoshu, vice-mayor of Wenzhou said at a news briefing on Jan 29.
The city has seen 33,000 people from Wuhan returning to Wenzhou as of Jan 29.
Guangdong has confirmed more than 200 cases, making it the second hardest-hit after Hubei province.
In Foshan, in south-eastern Guangdong province, local officials have cancelled public events and shuttered tourist attractions – including a theme park honouring homegrown kung-fu icon Bruce Lee. Few cars travel the roads, shops are closed and empty public buses criss-cross the city, which is known for its textile manufacturing.
Police have detained six suspects after busting a secret counterfeit mask production base in Foshan’s Nanhai district of South China’s Guangdong province on Jan 30.
Three sets of production equipment, plus 175,000 fake N95 masks and 80 cases of raw materials, were seized in the den, according to a statement released by Guangdong Provincial Department of Public Security on Friday.
Thousands of Hong Kong medical professionals voted to begin a five-day strike Monday after the government refused their demand to shut all entry points from China amid a deadly virus outbreak on the mainland.
The Hospital Authority Employees Alliance said there were about 99% of “Yes” votes cast by its members on Saturday. More than 9,000 members have pledged to take part, first in suspending non-emergency services offered by the city’s Hospital Authority before extending it to providing only limited emergency needs, it said.
Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced on January 31 that the city is not closing the border completely with mainland China despite the coronavirus outbreak.
Taiwan confirmed its 10th case of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Friday (Jan. 31) as the husband of the ninth case in another domestic person-to-person infection.
Taipei, Jan. 30 (CNA) Premier Su Tseng-chang issued instructions to relevant agencies in preparation for the long battle to contain a new form of coronavirus during a cabinet meeting Thursday, the Executive Yuan said in a press release.
Taipei, Feb. 1 (CNA) Chinese nationals from Guangdong Province will be prohibited entry into Taiwan starting Sunday, while travelers who have recently been there will be subject to a mandatory 14-day home quarantine, Taiwan’s Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Saturday.
edited by staff