China records its first coronavirus death since May and the most new cases in more than 10 months
China today reported its first coronavirus death since May – as the country suffered its biggest daily jump in infections in more than 10 months.
The latest death, the first in eight months, took place in the Hebei province on Thursday but no further details were given by the National Health Commission.
China has been battling to contain a resurgence in Covid-19 cases in recent weeks, while World Health Organiaation experts prepared to fly to Wuhan to investigate the origins of the pandemic.
The nation’s biggest daily jump in coronavirus cases since March 5 was reported on Thursday, with 138 infections noted compared to 115 cases a day earlier.
Infections in the northeastern Heilongjiang province have nearly tripled, underscoring a growing threat ahead of the Lunar New Year on February 12.
The Commission said 124 of the new cases were local infections, 81 of which were reported in Hebei province surrounding Beijing and 43 in Heilongjiang.
Heilongjiang, which has more than 37million residents, declared an ’emergency state’ on Wednesday, ordering residents not to leave the province unless absolutely necessary.
Meanwhile, millions were seen lining up in sub-zero temperatures to receive a second round of coronavirus tests in the capital of Hebei province yesterday.
The province, with a population of around 75million, has emerged as the new Covid-19 epicentre in China’s latest outbreak of the deadly virus.
Though the recent increases in cases remain a fraction of what the country saw at the height of the pandemic, China put more than 28 million people under home quarantine in January in a bid to curb the spread of the disease.
China builds new quarantine center as virus cases rise
A city in northern China is building a 3,000-unit quarantine facility to deal with an anticipated overflow of patients as COVID-19 cases rise ahead of the annual Lunar New Year travel rush.
State media on Friday showed crews leveling earth, pouring concrete and assembling prefabricated rooms in farmland in an outlying part of Shijiazhuang, the provincial capital of Hebei province, which has seen the bulk of the new cases.
That recalled scenes from early last year, when China rapidly built field hospitals and turned gymnasiums into isolation centers to cope with a then-spiraling outbreak in Wuhan, where the virus was first detected in late 2019.
The spike in northern China comes as a World Health Organization team prepares to collect data on the origin of the pandemic in Wuhan, which lies to the south. The international team, most of which arrived Thursday, must undergo two weeks of quarantine before it can begin field visits.
China has largely contained domestic spread of the virus, but the recent spike has raised concern due to the proximity to the capital, Beijing, and the impending rush of people planning to travel large distances to rejoin their families for the Lunar New Year, the country’s most important traditional festival.
The National Health Commission said Friday that 1,001 patients were under care for the disease, 26 in serious condition. It said 144 new cases were recorded over the past 24 hours. Hebei accounted for 90 of the new cases, while Heilongjiang province farther north reported 43.
Local transmissions also occurred in the southern Guangxi region and the northern province of Shaanxi, illustrating the virus’s ability to move through the vast country of 1.4 billion people despite quarantines, travel restrictions and electronic monitoring.
To date, China has reported 87,988 confirmed cases with 4,635 deaths.
Enforced Transfer of Over 20,000 villagers in Shijiazhuang Because of the CCP Virus
According to a report on January 12th, 2021 from CCTV News (the central media of the communist government), in Shijiazhuang City people in villages with confirmed cases were transferred in order to quarantine them in concentration places.
Another media Chinanews estimated that over 20,000 people from 12 villages were transported away in full buses. The action was performed under the order of local police. Since the first case was confirmed on Jan. 2nd, these villages had been kept in isolation with heavy iron gates and fences. Until Jan. 10th there were officially 265 cases in total in Hebei province.
In the announcement, it was clearly stated: “One has to take the consequence if he disobeys the order.” (In China it means very probably he will be thrown into prison.) People left their home unwillingly, on the way to unknown places.
Last year in Wuhan those people, who were considered as suspected cases with symptoms, were kept in concentration places for quarantine by the communist government. Until now an authentic amount of death in Wuhan last year remains unknown. However, emptying the whole villages becomes the newest way reported in China to deal with the Covid-19 virus. It is so far unclear what would happen to these people.
Anyway, forcedly emptying villages and isolating people in concentration places seem unacceptable, even under the name of protecting people from the virus, neither effective nor humanistic. It is contradictory to the commonly known efficacious methods like avoiding contact and keeping a distance from others in public places. The true reason for this action is a mystery, like many other things done by the communist government.
Editor / Translator: Yexing
Many Places in China Encourage People To Celebrate the Chinese New Year Locally
As the Chinese New Year approaches, the Communist Party’s viral epidemic (Covid-19) is making a comeback, with Shijiazhuang, where the epidemic is most serious, having declared a city closure and a major traffic jam caused by restrictions on vehicles entering Beijing.
Also, the State Council of the Communist Party of China and various localities have issued initiatives, calling on the people to celebrate the New Year in the area where they are as much as possible.
Every year around the Chinese Spring Festival, there is a massive population movement across China. The sudden escalation of the epidemic in Shijiazhuang and other places may once again lead to the virus spreading rapidly throughout China.
Recently, the CCP virus epidemic spread rapidly in Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province. According to the official data released by the CCP, another 120 people were infected in Hebei Province on January 6th, with 117 cases in the Shijiazhuang area alone. Recently, a recording of an internal meeting of the Beijing Housing and Urban-rural Development Commission’s epidemic prevention, deployment was circulated on the Internet, which indicated that the huge cross-regional flow of people and goods between Hebei and Beijing is seriously threatening Beijing’s security.
To ensure the safety of Beijing, since January 6th, Shijiazhuang City has implemented several control measures such as highway closures and the need to check negative nucleic acid certificates when entering stations and airports. Shijiazhuang City has shifted from the medium-risk area for prevention and control the day before, to the highest risk area and Hebei Province has also entered a wartime status of emergency for epidemic prevention.
With the deterioration of the epidemic prevention and control situation, the State Council of the Chinese Communist Party recently proposed to encourage enterprises and institutions to arrange vacations flexibly and to guide the employees to take vacations at workplaces as much as possible during the Chinese Spring Festival. Beijing, under the slogan of “no need to leave Beijing unless necessary, don’t leave the country unless it’s necessary,”, requires people currently in Beijing to stay in-situ for the New Year. The Party and government officials should take the lead in celebrating the festival in Beijing. While those who need to leave the capital must be strictly examined and approved.
Shanghai encourages staggered “return to hometown and work during off-peak periods”.
Shenzhen, which has a large number of migrants, has also issued a notice: civil servants, public institutions, and state-owned enterprise employees must apply for leave to exit Shenzhen during Chinese New Year. Other companies must try their best to avoid taking holidays during this peak period.
Major labor-exporting provinces such as Anhui, Sichuan, and Hunan have recently issued intensive notices demanding “if not necessary, then don’t return home.” Nucleic acid testing and quarantine are required for people returning from overseas and medium-high risk areas.
During this sensitive period when the epidemic is becoming more and more intense, the Chinese Communist Party officially announced on the 5th the trial of “Guidelines for the Design of “Fang Cang” Temporary Emergency Medical Treatment Facility “, which aroused widespread attention from the outside world. The CCP built a large number of in situ, so-called “Fang Cang hospitals” after the outbreak of the CCP virus in Wuhan last year. After rumors spread that the shelter hospitals were poorly equipped, lacked medical care, and had very poor hygiene, the Chinese Communist Party officially promoted a song called ” Fang Cang Hospital is Amazing” to brainwash the whole population. Therefore, this time the CCP has launched a new version of the Fang Cang Hospital, which arouse suspicion about the true situation of the epidemic in China.
Himalaya Moscow Katyusha (RU) Wenqiang Eddy
Many Places in China Have Announced the Cancellation of Spring Festival Celebrations
Reference News Network reported on January 13 that according to a report by EFE on January 11, due to small-scale outbreaks of coronavirus in some areas, many places in China have announced the cancellation of Spring Festival celebrations in order to avoid the spread of the epidemic. The Spring Festival is the most important traditional festival in this Asian country.
According to reports, the cancellation of the Spring Festival celebrations includes parts of Sichuan, Yunnan, Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Hubei, Gansu, and Shanxi provinces. Beijing has previously announced that during the New Year’s Day and Spring Festival in 2021, various temple fairs, large-scale mass cultural activities, large-scale performances, park activities and other festival cultural activities will not be held principally.
The report noted that most provinces in China have recommended that people spend the Spring Festival holiday at their places of residence instead of traveling back to hometowns so as to minimize the risk of the spread of the epidemic during this peak period of people traveling and gathering.
- Editor: Victor Torres
- Translator: 里奇