Home News China updates: events that need your attention

China updates: events that need your attention

0
96

China would rather see TikTok U.S. close than a forced sale

Beijing opposes a forced sale of TikTok’s U.S. operations by its Chinese owner ByteDance, and would prefer to see the short video app shut down in the United States, three people with direct knowledge of the matter said on Friday.

ByteDance has been in talks to sell TikTok’s U.S. business to potential buyers including Microsoft and Oracle since U.S. President Donald Trump threatened last month to ban the service if it was not sold.

Trump has given ByteDance a deadline of mid September to finalise a deal.

However, Chinese officials believe a forced sale would make both ByteDance and China appear weak in the face of pressure from Washington, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation.

ByteDance said in a statement to Reuters that the Chinese government had never suggested to it that it should shut down TikTok in the United States or in any other markets.

Reuters

Socceroos star Aaron Mooy opens up on China move

Socceroos star Aaron Mooy has spoken publicly for the first time about his move to Chinese Super League club Shanghai SIPG that rocked Australian football community.

It was one of the biggest surprises of this and many other transfer windows when Brighton mainstay and Socceroos icon Mooy suddenly jumped ship to the Chinese Super League.

At just 29, Mooy’s transfer left many Australian fans scratching their heads at why the Aussie star had left the Premier League when he appeared to have much more to give in Europe.

Mooy has been in quarantine in China since arriving from Brighton but upon leaving to join his teammates in Suzhou, spoke to Chinese media about the move.

“I’m very excited about the new challenge in my life,” said the 30-year-old. “Some friends of mine have played in Chinese leagues before, and they have said great things about China. I can’t wait to train with the team and help the club reach its goal for the season.

“The Chinese league is trying to grow, much like the Australian league. It’s a big club that I’m joining. The team wants to play attractive football. As a midfielder, I’d like to get involved in passing, tackling, as much as possible… My personal goal is to win titles with the team.”

Mooy will play in one of two CSL hubs as China attempts to remain insulated from possible further outbreaks of COVID19, as the league is separated into two conference style systems.

Shanghai, in Group B, currently leads the Suzhou-based competition. Mooy was officially unveiled to the public on Wednesday and will wear the number 19 for SIPG.

Mooy joins a star-studded Shanghai lineup this season and will feature in a midfield alongside Hulk, Marko Arnautovic and Oscar, to name a few. But despite Brighton’s claims that they were already ready to offload Mooy and the rumoured $160,000 per week contract, it clearly wasn’t an easy decision for the Mooy family.

He will be leaving behind his Scots-born wife Nicola – whom he married in Glasgow three years ago – and his two young children Skye, 5, and Max, 2, in the UK. His wife, Nicola, took to social media to bid the star an emotional farewell recently.

On a pic of Aaron, she added: “I always try to make the most of the time I have with the people I love. It’s not been easy the past few weeks.

“Our lives have been totally flipped on their heads.

“Every plan was thrown out the window and now I’m doing the best to get used to my new normal of parenting on my own (thank you to my mum for helping me).

“It’s not always easy being married to a footballer because football becomes their life but it’s the life I’ve chosen because I love Aaron/.

“I wish my husband the best of luck in China and I’ll see you when I see you.”

FTBL Australia

China’s LGBT community expresses disappointment after Shanghai Pride canceled indefinitely

Amy Yang always wanted to travel outside of China, but she didn’t expect her life to change as much as it did.

Having now completed her studies, the 27-year-old owns her own accessory business and says her current life, living with her girlfriend in Melbourne’s CBD, is beyond her wildest dreams.

“When I was in China I didn’t really realise my sexuality,” she said. “I didn’t know there was any possibility for me to live a different life, to be able to live with another woman.”

Homosexuality was officially declassified as a mental disorder in China in 2001 and is no longer considered illegal, but there remain significant obstacles for China’s LGBT community.

Last month, organisers of China’s largest LGBT festival, Shanghai Pride, said they would cancel the annual event indefinitely.

In a blog post on their website, the organisers gave no explanation for their decision, stating: “We love our community, and we are grateful for the experiences we’ve shared together. No matter what, we will always be proud — and you should be, too.”

One of the main organisers, Charlene Liu, said in a statement posted on Facebook that “the decision was difficult to make but we have to protect the safety of all involved”, without elaborating.

Shanghai Pride declined the ABC’s request to comment on why it canceled the event.

ABC

China, India agree to disengage troops at disputed border

The foreign ministries of China and India agreed in a joint statement on Friday that their troops must quickly disengage from a months-long standoff along their disputed Himalayan border.

Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi, and Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar met on the sidelines of a Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) foreign ministers’ meeting in Moscow to try and end the dispute, the most serious in decades at the undemarcated border.

“The two Foreign Ministers agreed that the current situation in the border areas is not in the interest of either side. They agreed therefore that the border troops of both sides should continue their dialogue, quickly disengage, maintain proper distance and ease tensions,” the statement said.

Separately, China’s foreign ministry said it would maintain communications with India through diplomatic and military channels and commit to “restoring peace and tranquillity” in the disputed border area.

Elaborating on the Moscow meeting, China said Wang had told Jaishankar that the “imperative is to immediately stop provocations such as firing and other dangerous actions that violate the commitments made by the two sides”.

All personnel and equipment that have trespassed at the border must be moved and frontier troops on both sides “must quickly disengage” in order to de-escalate the situation, Wang added.

Aljazeera

Chinese Jets Intrude Taiwan Air Defense Zone for Second Day

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here