Chinese food is well known all over the world, as evidenced by Chinese restaurants around the world. However, Chinese dishes overseas are usually localized. Do you want to taste authentic Chinese food? Or do you want to try your hand on Chinese food?
Quick and Easy Chinese Food Recipes
1. Cucumber with Garlic
Cucumber with Garlic tastes sour, spicy, crispy and refreshing, which has low calorie and can relieves the summer-heat effectively.
Flavors: sour, spicy, crispy
Ingredients: cucumber, garlics, dry red chili, white vinegar, white sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt
1. Crush cucumbers or cut them into slices, and mash or slice garlics.
2. Put the garlic and chili slices on the cucumbers, add into white vinegar, white sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and then topped with hot oil. Mix well.
2. Broccoli with Garlic
Broccoli with Garlic has low calorie and is a perfect dish for people who plan to lose weight. It is welcomed by housewives for its easy-get ingredient and easy recipe.
Flavors: salty, fresh, crispy
Ingredients: broccoli, garlic, cooking oil
1. Cut the broccoli into chunks and chop the garlic.
2. Boil broccoli chunks for 1-2 minutes to make it 60% cooked.
3. Heat some cooking oil, stir-fry the chopped garlic until fragrant. Add in the boiled broccoli and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add some salt and mix well.
3. Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes
Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes is as common as egg fried rice in Chinese table. Eggs and tomatoes are the perfect partners. The natural sour taste of tomatoes makes the dish delicious without any no complex seasonings. Flavors: sour, sweet and salt
Ingredients: eggs, tomatoes, cooking oil, salt
1. Crack the eggs, add a little water and salt and beat up. Cut tomatoes into chunks.
2. Heat some oil over medium fire, pour in the beaten egg. Fry until it turns golden. Remove it out.
3. Heat some cooking oil again. Add in tomato chunks. Stir-fry over high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add in some salt and mix well. Then put the egg chunks in and mix with tomato chunks well.
4. Ma Po Tofu
Ma Po Tofu is a famous dish in Sichuan Cuisine and is popular throughout China. It is featured with spicy taste and going well with rice.
Flavors: salty and spicy
Ingredients: soft Tofu, beef, broad bean paste, ginger, garlic
1. Poach the diced tofu and drain off water with a colander.
2. Stir-fry the minced beef until it turns yellowish-white.
3. Put the beef aside in the wok, add in minced ginger, garlic, fermented black soybean, broad bean paste and chili powder and stir well until fragrant. Combine well with beef and fry for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the tofu and mix well. Sprinkle the wet starch and mix well. Fry over high heat until the sauce is nearly dried out. Sprinkle some pepper powder and chopped shallot and dish up.
5. Green Vegetable with Mushroom
Green Vegetable with Mushroom is a common Chinese dish with high nutritive value. It’s also a quite easy Chinese food recipe that almost all housewives can make, which is very suitable for beginners to try. Flavors: salty and fresh
Ingredients: fresh black mushroom, green vegetable, garlic slices, salt, wet cornstarch, soy sauce
1. Hull the fresh black mushrooms and cut into chunks.
2. Fry the garlic slices for 10 seconds. Add the green vegetables and stir-fry until they shrink. Add some salt and stir well. Then pick them out and dish up.
3. Heat some cooking oil and pour in the mushroom chunks. Stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add some water, and braise over low heat till the water is almost gone. Then add some salt, soy sauce and wet cornstarch, and stir well. Then place on the cooked vegetables. Pour the left juice onto the mushroom and the dish is done.
6. Cola Chicken Wings
In China, this dish is very welcomed by children and young. So moms can follow the below Chinese recipe to cook some for your kids.
Flavors: salty and sweet
Ingredients: chicken wings, cola, shallot, ginger, cooking wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, white sugar, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom
1. Score chicken wings symmetrically on both sides. Cut the shallots into 2-3 cm long sections, and the ginger into thin slices.
2. Marinate chicken wings with cooking wine and half of the shallot sections and ginger slices for 15-20 minutes.
3. Heat some oil and add the white sugar and stir-fry until the mixture turns reddish-brown and bubbles. Add the marinated chicken wings, and stir-fry until they turn yellow. Add the cola and soy sauce, and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add in the left shallot sections and ginger slices, star anise, cinnamon and cardamom, and stir-fry well. Add in some water, and stew over medium heat till the chicken turn into caramel color. At last, add the sesame oil, stir and dish up.
7. Spicy and Sour Shredded Potato
Spicy and Sour Shredded Potato is a very common dish in Chinese table and an easy Chinese food recipe. Its spicy and sour flavor whets appetite easily.
Flavors: spicy and sour
Ingredients: potatoes, green pepper, cooking oil, dried chili peppers, salt, white vinegar, shallot, garlic
1. Cut the potato into thin and homogeneous shreds. Soak in salt water for 10 minutes to remove the starch. Drain well. Cut shallot and dried chili peppers into thin shreds and garlics into small slices.
2. Fry garlic slices, shallot and dried chili peppers for 5-10 seconds until fragrant. Add the shredded potato and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Pour in 2-3 teaspoons of white vinegar along the brim of the wok and stir well.
3. Add in the green peppers, and mix with the potato shreds. Stir-fry for 20-30 seconds until the potato is well cooked. Add some salt and mix well. Dish up.
Twice-cooked Pork is one of the representative dishes in Sichuan cuisine. It is popular for it goes well with rice and easy to cook. Flavors: salty, spicy
Ingredients: pork, garlic sprouts, ginger, broad bean paste, fermented soy beans, cooking oil, white sugar, cooking wine
1. Cut the garlic sprouts into 3cm sections and the ginger into small slices, chop the broad bean paste.
2. Put ginger slices and pour some cooking wine into a wok with cold water, add the entire pork and boil over big fire for 15min. Then pick out and slice the pork when it is cool down.
3. Fry the pork slices with low heat until the slices roll up and then add in the broad bean paste, fermented soy beans and ginger and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add in the garlic sprouts and stir-fry for 20-30sec. Add some white sugar and mix well and dish up.
Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs is a typical dish in China’s Zhejiang cuisine. It is reddish and lustrous in color. The dish is welcome by Chinese for its rich flavor and crispy and tender taste. Flavors: sweet and sour
Ingredients: pork ribs, egg, cooking oil, cooking wine, starch, vinegar, white sugar, salt, tomato ketchup
1. Cut the ribs into segments and then boil for 15-20 minutes with cooking wine and ginger slice.
2. Add salt, cooking wine and an egg white into the ribs and stir well. Preserve for 20min. Then add starch and some water and stir well until every rib is evenly coated.
3. Combine tomato ketchup, vinegar, white sugar and a little water to make seasoning sauce.
4. Deep-fry the ribs in hot oil with low heat for about 1 minute and pick out.
5. Fry the seasoning sauce until it turns dense and add in the pork libs and stir well over high heat for 1min to make sure the sauce coats ribs all, then dish up.
10. Egg Fried Rice
Egg Fried Rice is one of the easiest Chinese food recipes. Chinese housewives like it very much, not only because it is easy to make, but also because it helps them deal with the leftover rice.
Ingredients: eggs, rice, cooking oil, salt…
1. Crack eggs in a bowl, add some salt and beat it up. Fry the eggs in the pot until it turns gold and take out.
2. Add some oil in the pot and heat it up. Add rice and fry for 2 – 3 minutes until it turns hot, then add the fried egg and stir well, take out and dish up. The dish is done.
Top 15 Vegetarian Chinese Food Recipes
Chinese food is rich in vegetarian dishes and most of them are easy-cooking. Some vegetarian Chinese dishes have only one ingredient like spicy and sour shredded potato, some contain two or more ingredients which give each other special taste and make them perfect partner like green vegetable with mushroom. Here are top 15 vegetarian Chinese food recipes recommended to you.
1. Vegetarian Chow Mein
Chinese Name: 素炒面 sù chǎo miàn
Ingredients: thin noodles, any vegetables you like,
Cooking Methods: stir-fry
Vegetarian Chow Mein is a popular Chinese staple food. The cooking method is stir-frying. Before frying, the noodle need to be steamed to 70% – 80% mature. Almost any kinds of vegetables you like can be added and the common ones are green chili, carrots, onions, sliced dried bean curb, and cabbage.
2. Vegetarian Dumplings
Chinese Name: 素饺子 sù jiǎo zi
Flavor: salty and fresh
Ingredients: vegetables you like, flour
Cooking Methods: boil
Vegetarian dumplings is a welcomed staple food. The fillings can be any vegetable you like, such as carrots, Chinese cabbage, mushrooms, leek, and pumpkin. The vegetables need to be chopped then seasoned and mix well, then wrapped into flour dough wrappers one by one. After being boiled, you can dish them up and enjoy. You can make some sauce to go with the dumplings or add the dumplings into the seasoned soup to eat.
3. Green Vegetable with Mushroom
Chinese Name: 香菇青菜 xiāng gū qīng cài
Flavor: salty and fresh
Ingredients: mushroom and green vegetable
Cooking Methods: stir-fry
It is a lightly seasoned vegetarian Chinese food. The ingredients are all nutritive and the cooking method is simple, which make it a welcomed dish in Chinese table. The mushroom give the green vegetable a fresh taste when stir-frying.
4. Spicy and Sour Shredded Potato
Chinese Name: 酸辣土豆丝 suān là tǔ dòu sī
Flavor: salty, spicy and sour
Ingredients: potato, green pepper, dried red chili
Cooking Methods: stir-fry
Almost every Chinese restaurant provides this vegan Chinese dish. The main ingredients are potatoes, green pepper and dried red chili which gives it spicy taste. Potatoes need to be cut into shreds and soaked in water for a while to remove the extra starch then stir-fried with sliced red chili. The necessary seasoning is white vinegar. Potatoes with low-calorie, multi-vitamin and trace element foods are ideal diet foods. This dish is perfect for dieters and vegetarians.
5. Stir-Fried Broccoli
Chinese Name: 清炒西蓝花 qīng chǎo xī lán huā
Cooking Methods: stir-fry
Broccoli is a very popular diet food with low calorie. Broccoli contains protein, vitamins and fibrins. Besides, broccoli is easy to make people feel full. So it is a recommended dish for people who are losing weight. Before being stir-fried with other vegetables like carrots, the broccoli needs to be boiled in hot water until it is 70%-80% mature to reduce the stir-frying time.
6. Ma Po Tofu
Chinese Name: 麻婆豆腐má pó dòu fu
Flavor: salty and spicy
Ingredients: tofu, beef or pork, thick broad-bean paste sauce, ginger, scallion and garlic
Cooking Methods: boil and fry
Ma Po tofu, or sautéed tofu in hot and spicy sauce, is one of the best Chinese vegetarian dishes and is popular throughout China. The main cooking methods are boiling and frying. First stir-fry the mashed beef with broad bean paste sauce, chopped scallion, ginger and garlic for a while and then add tofu and some water and stir-fry for a 3 minutes. Like the most featured Sichuan dishes, it tastes hot and spicy. The thick broad-bean sauce is a must, which is considered as the soul of Sichuan dishes.
7. Sautéed Potato, Green Pepper and Eggplant
Chinese Name: 地三鲜 dì sān xiān
Ingredients: eggplant, potato and green peppers
Cooking Methods: deep fry and stir-fry
It is a classic vegan Chinese food in northeast of China. The ingredients are seasonal fresh vegetables: eggplant, potatoes and green peppers, making it rich in taste. The ingredients need to be deep fried in cooking oil respectively and then stir-fried with seasonings.
8. Baby Cabbage With Garlic and Vermicelli
Chinese Name: 蒜蓉粉丝娃娃菜 suàn róng fěn sī wá wá cài
Flavor: salty and a little spicy
Ingredients: garlic, baby cabbage and vermicelli
Cooking Methods: steam, stir-fry
This vegetarian Chinese recipe is easy and requires almost no cooking experience. The cooking methods are steaming and stir-frying. Soak the vermicelli in boiling water for 3 minutes until it turns soft, then put in boiling water for a while, and then soak in cold water. The baby cabbage needs to be steamed first and finely dished up together with soaked vermicelli. After, stir-fry the chopped garlic and red chili for several seconds and then add salt and soy sauce and mix well. Finally top the sauce on the baby cabbage. The baby cabbage tastes sweet and tender, and the medicinal value is high containing calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, etc.
9. Buddha’s Delight
Chinese Name: 罗汉斋 luó hàn zhāi
Flavor: salty and fresh
Ingredients: mushroom, sweet broad bean, celery, endive sprout, green pepper and other vegetables
Cooking Methods: stir fry
Buddha’s delight is a famous vegetarian Chinese food originated in Song Dynasty (960 – 1279 AD). It was first a special dish for monks and priests and has gradually become a traditional vegetarian dish. The mushrooms are usually boiled first then stir-fried with other materials. It is healthy and nutritive and tastes very fresh.
10. Vegetarian Fried Rice
Chinese Name: 素炒饭 sù chǎo fàn
Flavor: salty and light
Ingredients: vegetables you like and steamed rice
Cooking Methods: stir-fry and steam
Vegetarian fried rice is a common staple food in China. The cooking is extremely easy. Just stir-fry your remaining steamed rice with any vegetables you like. The common vegetables added are carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, green vegetables, onion and so on.
11. Dry-fried Green Beans
Chinese Name: 干煸豆角 gān biān dòu jiǎo
Ingredients: green bean and dried red chili
Cooking Methods: dry-fry
Dry frying is a special cooking methods in Sichuan, that is, deep fry the ingredient in the wok with cooking oil over low heat until the water contained in the ingredient is totally evaporated, then stir fry the ingredients with seasonings over high heat. Dry-fried green beans is the most welcomed dry-fried dishes. The green bean is rich in protein, vitamin and unsaturated fatty acid. It tastes salty and a little bit spicy, making it go well with rice.
12. Hand-torn Cabbage
Chinese Name: 手撕包菜 shǒu sī bāo cài
Ingredients: cabbage and dried red chili
Cooking Methods: stir-fry
Another homely and lightly seasoned dish. The cooking process is simple, just stir-fry the cabbage in the wok with cooking oil, and the main ingredients are cabbage and dried red chili. It tastes salty and a little bit spicy. It deserves to try for beginners.
13. Boiled Baby Cabbage in Cantonese Style
Chinese Name: 白灼广东菜心 bái zhuó guǎng dōng cài xīn
Flavor: salty, light and fresh
Ingredients: baby cabbage and oyster sauce
Cooking Methods: boil
It is a very refreshing and lightly seasoned vegan Chinese dish like other Cantonese dishes. The baby cabbage is boiled in hot water and dished up, then topped with the sauce which is mainly made of oyster. The sauce adds the dish flavors and is the soul of the dish. Other tender green vegetables can also be cooked in this way.
Chinese Name: 凉拌黄瓜 liáng bàn huáng guā
Flavor: sour, salty and a little spicy
Ingredients: cucumbers and garlic
Cooking Methods: cold dress
It is a very homely cold dish tasting crispy and refreshing, and you can see it almost in every restaurant in China. Pour the hot oil on the chopped garlic and then add salt, white vinegar and soy sauce, the sauce is finished, and just top it on the cucumbers and mix well. Garlic works as the ingredient and also the seasoning which gives the dish a spicy flavor. The other important seasoning is the white vinegar. This dish is perfect for hot summer and vegetarians.
15. Stir-fried Celery with Bean Curd Sticks
Chinese Name: 西芹炒腐竹 xī qín chǎo fǔ zhú
Flavor: salty and light
Ingredients: celery and bean curd stick
Cooking Methods: stir-fry
A common and simple homely vegetarian Chinese food. Before stir-frying, the dry bean curb sticks need to be soaked in water for at least three hours so as to make it soft. Cut the celery and bean curd sticks into sections with the same size and stir-fry them together. The seasonings are simple. Salt and five-spice powder are enough.
Lose Weight Faster with Chinese Diet Food
Top 10 Chinese Diet Food
Energy: 16 calories/100g
Cucumber contains more than 95% water and is rich in vitamins and low in calories. Cucumber enzyme contained in fresh cucumber can effectively promote human metabolism and blood circulation as well as enhance the redox effect of skin.
Recommended dishes made of cucumber: Cucumber with Mashed Garlic, Fried Egg with Cucumbers…As a Chinese saying goes: 100% health needs 30% exercise and 70% diet. It can be seen that a good figure is not only out of exercising, but also out of eating. Here are some Chinese diet food with low fat, low calorie but abundant fiber, proteins, vitamins and other nutrients and a one-week Chinese diet plan to help you lose weight faster and healthily.
2. Water Spinach
Energy: 25 calories/100g
Water Spinach is very low in calories and has a good effect of losing fat. It’s an alkaline vegetable that can reduce the acidity of the intestinal tract and prevent the flora disequilibrium. The niacin and vitamin C contained in Water Spinach can reduce cholesterol and triglyceride. Rich crude cellulose can stimulate intestine peristalsis and promote laxation.
Recommended dishes made of water spinach: Boiled Water Spinach, Stir Fried Water Spinach…
Energy: 30 calories/100g
Broccoli contains very rich fiber, which can absorb water and swell, making you feel full and helping you eat less. Also, fiber can promote digestion and absorption, which helps you to quickly discharge the waste. It is a very popular Chinese diet food for healthy weight loss.
A Japanese study concludes that the average nutritional value and disease-prevention effect of broccoli is much higher than that of other vegetables, ranking first. The nutrients in broccoli are not only high, but also very diverse, such as protein, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, vitamin C and carotene, etc. So Broccoli is very nutritious, too.
Recommended dishes made of broccoli: Broccoli with Garlic, Stir-Fried Broccoli…
4. Brown Rice
Energy: 50 calories/100g
This is a kind of unprocessed rice. Compared with refined rice, it contains more dietary fiber. This kind of food fiber is insoluble. It will absorb water and expand in the human intestine, which will stimulate motility of stomach, improve constipation and promote metabolism. Brown Rice is a good choice as a staple food.
Recommended dishes made of brown rice: Brown Rice Porridge, Steamed Brown Rice…
Energy: 60 calories/100ml
One study finds that people who eat yogurt lost 61% more fat than those who don’t. Yogurt contains a lot of active lactic acid bacteria that can regulate flora balance, promote gastrointestinal peristalsis, and remove the “waste” from gut and relieving constipation. Replacing carbonated drinks with yogurt is definitely sensible for people who are trying to lose weight.
Energy: 68 calories/100g
Oat contains lysine and linoleic acid, which can reduce cholesterol accumulation in the cardiovascular system. It is also rich in protein, more than twice as much as rice, ranking first in cereal grains. It is not only a good food for young people to lose weight, but also has a very effective prevention effect on hypertension, diabetes and hyperlipidemia in the elderly.
Recommended dishes made of oats: Oatmeal with Milk, Oatmeal Porridge…
Energy: 123 calories/100g
Fish is a quite delicious and healthy ingredient in the Chinese diet food. Fish contains a kind of unsaturated fatty acid that helps lower cholesterol and triglycerides. Rich protein in fish is also easily absorbed by the body. During the period of weight loss, steaming fish is the best cooking way for less or no oil is used.
Recommended dishes made of fish: Steamed Perch, Millet Fish Porridge…
8. Chicken Breast
Energy: 130 calories/100g
Chicken breast is very widely used in the Chinese diet. It is the “King of Low-calorie” among various meat. The Chicken Breast has another important feature: it has zero carbohydrates, which is a must for people who want to lose weight. Meanwhile, the Chicken Breast is rich in protein.
Recommended dishes made of chicken breast: Pan-Fried Chicken Breast, Roasted Chicken Breast…
Energy: 144 calories/100g
It’s a nutritious Chinese diet food, containing high protein and a variety of essential amino acids needed by the human body. The yolks contain lecithin, an emulsifier that emulsifies fat and cholesterol into tiny particles, which can be easily eliminated from blood vessels and depleted by human body. An egg is the best choice for breakfast.
Recommended dishes made of egg: boiled egg, steamed egg, Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes…
10. Green Tea
Energy: 0.5 calories/100ml
Green tea contains aromatic compounds that dissolve fat and prevent it from accumulating in the body. The vitamin B1 and vitamin C in green tea can promote gastric juice to secrete, which helps digestion and eliminate fat. It is a great substitute of cola and other high-calorie drinks. Green tea should not be too thick, otherwise it will affect the secretion of gastric juice. Besides, you’d better not drink green tea on an empty stomach.
One-week Chinese Diet Plan
Reasonable food collocation is the key to lose weight healthily. Here is a weekly healthy Chinese diet menu for you, including meat, grains, vegetables, fruit, dairy products and others needed by the human body.
|Monday||One egg + one banana + 200ml yogurt||One cucumber + 300g pan-fried chicken breast with olive oil||300ml oatmeal + 300g broccoli + one egg|
|Tuesday||One corn + 200ml skimmed milk||Two eggs + 300g brown rice porridge with red bean||One apple + 500g steamed fish|
|Wednesday||300g broccoli + 300 ml millet gruel||200g water spinach + 300g roasted chicken breast + one apple||One egg + one banana + two carrots|
|Thursday||Six walnuts + one apple + one egg||500g poached fish + 200g water spinach||200ml yogurt with carbohydrates under 10%|
|Friday||One apple + one banana + one egg||300ml millet gruel + two cucumbers + one egg||Two pieces of oat bread + 200g water spinach + 300g pan-fried chicken breast|
|Saturday||200ml skimmed milk + one corn + half an apple||300g poached chicken breast + one cucumber + one egg||300ml brown rice porridge with red bean + 200ml low-fat yogurt + two carrots|
|Sunday||Two steamed eggs + 300g broccoli + one apple||One banana + 500g steamed fish||Two cucumbers + 500g mixed fruit with skimmed milk + two eggs|
If you are hungry following the above Chinese diet menu, you can have some tomatoes, carrots, water spinach, cucumbers, green tea and sugar-free coffee between meals.